slow clock thread resurrected

Subject: slow clock thread resurrected
From: Stefan Jeglinski (jeglin@4pi.com)
Date: Wed Dec 26 2001 - 15:50:18 MST

I have just updated from 8.6 to 9.1 to run mol, and have run into the
dreaded slow down that was documented on the list some time ago. A
post from Samuel suggested an rsync to get some code changes, but my
version of mol was rsynced long after that suggestion (startmol -V
yields 0.9.61). I upgraded from 8.6 to 9.1 because under mol with
8.6, appletalk transfers are wholly unreliable, leading to system
lockups. I was taking a chance with my upgrade to 9.1, possibly
ill-fated?

I am on a 9500 with a G3/350 upgrade, running 2.4.17 just rsynced
from the bk mirror. The backside cache -is- enabled, and the Linux
side runs fine. I note that the MacOS slowdown is not just cosmetic.
All MacOS functions seem to be much slower (mouse click
acknowledgements, etc).

I searched the mol-general archives, and saw no solution to this. Did
anyone ever figure one out? My last rsync to mol was first week of
Nov, any point to rsyncing and rebuilding? If I missed the answer on
the list, please kindly send me a link to it, pretty puh-leeze?

On a larger note, has mol pretty much been end-of-lifed? Seems that
traffic has died out to a bare minimum, and Samuel rarely posts
anymore. Did I miss something?

Stefan Jeglinski