Re: Ideas for accelerated video on MOL (generic PCI device proxy)

Subject: Re: Ideas for accelerated video on MOL (generic PCI device proxy)
From: Bill Huey (billh@gnuppy.monkey.org)
Date: Tue Feb 20 2001 - 02:26:48 MST

On Tue, Feb 20, 2001 at 01:12:45AM -0800, Timothy A. Seufert wrote:

> sends all the encoded GL commands off to the native DRI GL. With
> this library substituted for the normal one, Mac GL apps that can
> work with a fullscreen context would never know the difference. The
> most difficult part would likely be emulating the functionality of
> Apple's AGL stuff.

> Windowed GL might be a lot more difficult though.

You'll have to do something like impose a mask for the OpenGL rastering
by extracting the internal region handling of the windowing system and
a convert that into OpenGL a compatible z-buffer, I guess.

It's pretty non-trivial stuff and most like will have to intimately
require some trickey examination of how QuickDraw does clipping and region
handling.

I was experimenting with the old QuickDraw several years ago with this
stuff, but didn't progress much into these areas. Probably for the better. ;-)

> Tim Seufert

bill