Video bit depth problems

Subject: Video bit depth problems
From: Jeffry C. Nichols (jcn@bioc.rice.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 21 2001 - 07:44:36 MST

I'm having trouble with the bit settings on LINUX. If I edit the
appropriate file and change the bit setting to 15, the colors get
better (even thought 15 is not a standard Mac setting). Changing to
anything else doesn't work--it either won't go back to the log-in
screen, or if it does, there are also 4 small windows on top and all
the windows are screwed up and just leave ghost trails across the
screen.

My Mac has 6 MB video RAM. In native Mac OS, I run my monitor at
1152 x 870, millions of colors.

Thanks for any help/suggestions.

Jeff Nichols, Ph.D.
Rice University