Re: still stuck. have an older G3...

Subject: Re: still stuck. have an older G3...
From: Jeffry C. Nichols (jcn@bioc.rice.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 26 2001 - 04:40:11 MST

>I have an older G3 tower with system 9.1. From this I take it I need a
>ROM image (though I though it was system dependent and not machin
>dependent -- until I upgraded to 9.1 and still hade no Mac OS Rom
>file...). I got the ROM grabber but I'm not clear how it works or
>what to do with it.
>
>Any help would really be appreciated.

Hi Carolyn, first off, from everything that I read and experienced,
OS 9.1 will NOT work. You will have to "downgrade" to 9.0.4 to get
MOL to work properly. (Anyone with 9.1 running well, please correct
me if I'm wrong). Also, the "older" G3 Macs (known as Old World) do
not use a ROM file--that's why you have to "slurp" one off an
installation disk (I use TomeViewer).

I would suggest reloading OS 9.0 (clean install) and then upgrade to
9.0.4 or you will have problems with parts of 9.1 not working with
9.0.4 if you don't do a clean install (Sherlock is the best example
of that).

Now, as for the LINUX side, you need to get either the ROM image from
the 9.0.4 disk (the application "TomeViewer" work well for that) or
the "Ethernet Update" disk which has a slightly newer version of the
Mac ROM file. You can find this on the Mac-On-Linux web site by the
way.

Next, you need to copy the "New World" ROM file to LINUX. I actually
had to burn a CD with the ROM file on it since my Mac OS partition is
in HFS+ (which LINUX cannot mount easily--unless you use something
like "netatalk" to mount LINUX partitions on your Mac via Appletalk,
but that's another issue altogether). To copy the file you would do
the following (assuming the ROM file is on a CDROM disk)

        mount -t hfs /dev/cdrom /mnt
        strip_nwrom "/mnt/System Folder/Mac OS ROM" /usr/lib/mol/rom/rom.nw

The part in parenthesis might be different depending on where the ROM
file actually resides.

Now, when you run "startmol" everything _should_ work.

Good luck

Jeff Nichols