Re: Keyboard problems in MOL

Subject: Re: Keyboard problems in MOL
From: Derrik Pates (dpates@andromeda.dsdk12.net)
Date: Fri Jan 12 2001 - 22:54:27 MST

On Fri, 12 Jan 2001, Daniel Folha wrote:

> I have installed LinuxPPC 2000 Q4 on a G4 machine at work and I am
> very much interested in using MOL. I believe that I've installed MOL
> succesfully (at least apparently). MOL starts up fine. The only problem is
> that the keyboard is all screwed! E.g. "return" is the "j" labelled key
> and "BackSpace" is the "comma" labelled key!!!??? No letter or symbol
> corresponds to what is actually labelled. I tried a few different
> keyboard ids in molrc but the result is always the same. It almost looks
> as if the keyboard id in molrc is completely ignored! The keyboard is an
> Apple USB (one of those with black keys) with a portuguese layout. For X I
> disabled xkb and configured it with Xmodmap (for the portuguese layout I
> only needed to change a few signs - the alphanumeric keys are exactly in
> the same place as in any british or us keyboard). If I enable xkb,
> ignoring Xmodmap, the problem persists. It happens both with KDE or
> Gnome.
>
> Does anyone have a solution for this? Below follows what is
> printed in the screen after startmol is issued.

Is "dev.mac_hid.keyboard_sends_linux_keycodes = 1" in your
/etc/sysctl.conf? Or, if not, is there a "use_linux_keycodes:" line in
your /etc/molrc? I've found that you're best off to have
keyboard_sends_linux_keycodes set to 0, and the "use_linux_keycodes:"
line in /etc/molrc set to "no". If these aren't in sync, weird key
mappings (like what you're seeing) will result.

Derrik Pates | Sysadmin, Douglas School| _ #linuxOS on EFnet
dpates@dsdk12.net | District (dsdk12.net) | | | and now OPN too!
   Student @ South Dakota School of Mines | __| |___ _ _ _ ___ _ _ ____
       & Technology (www.sdsmt.edu) |/ _ / -_) ' \ '\/ _ \ ' \ (____)
UNIX: Because you want to USE your computer.|\___,\___|_||_||_\___/_||_|