Re: dual head with powerbook pismo

Subject: Re: dual head with powerbook pismo
From: Derek Homeier (supas100@astrophysik.uni-kiel.de)
Date: Tue Jan 16 2001 - 12:44:17 MST

On Tue, 16 Jan 2001, Chris Potrebka wrote:

erbooks support video mirroring (same thing on both displays), useful when giving lectures.

> As for under MOL I have no idea :-)

Please don't post HTML ;^|

Not quite correct, the 1999 (Lombard) PBs also support true dual-head w/ the
LCD and external monitor (or TV) under MacOS. On the Lombard, at least,
this is not done with separate controllers but a special capability of the
Rage II LT chip.
It seems ATI has not released any info on how to use this feature, thus
noone has managed to support it in XFree yet.
Since the newer PBs and iBooks use the Rage 128 Mobility, the situation might
be slightly different there, though I doubt the Pismo really has to video
controllers. I remember the issue being mentioned on the linuxppc-dev and
-user lists, so a search for "multi-head" or "Xinerama" might turn up
more info there.

Cheers,
                                                        Derek