Re: 603 with Recompiled Kernel still doesn't work

Subject: Re: 603 with Recompiled Kernel still doesn't work
From: Quentin Mason (quentin-mason@cornell.edu)
Date: Sat Jan 27 2001 - 13:17:47 MST

Hi Jackson,

> I read on the from page that:
> Boots MacOS 7.5.2 to 9.0.4 using a ROM image.

that is correct -- that is you have to MAKE the ROM image yourself using
the Rom-grabber utility that I was talking about before. Read the help in
that.

>> bash$ mount -t hfs /dev/cdrom /mnt
>> bash$ strip_nwrom "/mnt/System Folder/Mac OS ROM" /usr/lib/mol/rom/rom.nw
>
>You need the 8.6 ROM that can be downloaded from maconlinux.com.
> Do I need this rom if I am still running 8.5?

No - you will HAVE to make a Rom as stated above. Otherwise upgrade to
8.6 and use that.

> >There is some asm-m68k source/headers needed for ppc machines. There was
> >a discussion of this with the release of linuxppc 200 last year. A proper
> >kernel source does not require any copying though...
>
> How should I get the proper source then so I could recompile it with
> support? Where should I download it from?

rsync it from various places... See linuxppc user for latest, seach on
fsmlabs;rsync or rsync;kernel. Actually this will give a more modern
2.2.18 w/ input layer kernel, the complications of which you probably do
not want, but suffice to say you have to upgrade some other stuff or
NOTHING will work. I would recommend trying to find somewhere with an
older kernel source in tar.gz format.

> I didn't create any modules, and now it appears I no longer have
> sound. Any suggestions on that?

Choose to include the sound => no module, choose to modularise sound =>
need module. If module then you will need the make modules, make
modules_install steps.

> If you wouldn't mind checking out my other post, I'd appreciate your
> comments on that.

RE: cpuinfo. Your bogomips are quite low. I would suggest reading
linuxppc-user for posts about BootX v1.2* giving very slow machines, and
try the downgrade to BootX 1.1.3 (?) that they discuss. search on
BootX;1.1.3

RE: mol compiled for 2.2.18 If you rsync this probably will not be a
problem. If you do not like the messages rebuild MOL with
rpm --rebuild mol-xxxx.src.rpm
rpm -Uvh /usr/src/Redhat/SRPMS/mol-xx.ppc.rpm
This will rebuild MOL to be appropriate for the kernel source that you
have installed.

Best of luck,

Q.