2.4.7pre3 kernel & MOL 0.95.8-1 & MacOS 9.2

Subject: 2.4.7pre3 kernel & MOL 0.95.8-1 & MacOS 9.2
From: Samuel Rydh (samuel@waltari.theophys.kth.se)
Date: Tue Jul 10 2001 - 05:46:48 MDT

>Hi,
>
>Anyone tried to compile and use MOL 0.95.8-1 with 2.4.7pre3 kernel?

It won't work. The BK kernel contains Paul's MM changes (I think).
Only the MOL developer tree supports the new MM layer.

>MOL 0.95.8-1 is well tested and rock solid, MOL from rsync tree have to
>pass stability tests.

True, although I'm quite certain the developer tree is at least
as stable as 0.9.58.

> Also, MOL seem to be incompatible with MacOS ROM 8.0 found in
> MacOS 9.2, but it works with MacOS 9.2 if older stripped ROm
>is installed.

The developer tree supports the ROM bundled MacOS 9.2 (although
9.2 is still under NDA, I believe).

>I am not sure latest 0.9.59 rsync MOL can use older ROMs in
>conjunction with MacOS 9.2

It can, although it is preferably to use the correct ROM
(MacOS stability might be affected otherwise).

For maximal stability, I recommend the following setup:

* Ben's rsync kernel (currently at 2.4.6)

MOL segfaults under 2.4.5-pre4 - 2.4.6-preX when
the swap is hit. I suspect a VM bug; presumably it is
fixed in 2.4.6.

* CONFIG_SMP off

Ben's tree has SMP on by default. MOL responds *much* more sluggish
when a non-SMP machine uses a SMP kernel. I'm about to investigate.
Note that SMP is on by default...

* Thermal Management off

Enabling thermal management will cause occasional errors
(RVEC internal error 1700). This problem is under investigation.
The error disappears if thermal management is turned off.
It looks like a hardware problem, but it is remotely
possible this is a MOL bug.

I'd be very interested to hear about any instability issues
with the configuration above. I plan to release MOL 1.0.0 in the
not-to-distant future (although 0.9.61 definitely looks
better :-)).

/Samuel