Re: AppleTalk/EtherTalk in MOL - what works

Subject: Re: AppleTalk/EtherTalk in MOL - what works
From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt (benh@kernel.crashing.org)
Date: Wed Jul 11 2001 - 04:00:18 MDT

>Hi Ben,
>
>Thanx for the info - having a place to start will be good ;). I'm also
>going to have a chat with some of the folks on the netatalk-devel list
>since they may have some tips in this area. Additionally, I grabbed the
>source for AppleTalk out of Darwin - while it doesn't seem to be very
>well documented, it may come in handy, particularly if something small
>is simply wrong.
>
>Again - thank you ;) Hopefully I'll be able to get something figured
>out here. It was interesting to note that Mac OS X apparently has some
>issues with AppleTalk support as well ... ;) It'll be a feather in our
>cap if we can get this working smoothly!
>
>One last note ... the way my network is setup currently, it appears that
>the problem is localized to my iMac, with Linux on it - I have a Linux
>box (x86) connected (by wire) on the other side of the AirPort base
>station, running netatalk - running nbplkup from there shows not only
>the various computers connected by wire to its switch, but also my
>partner's iMac, connected via wireless to the same base station I'm
>connected to (actually sitting about 2 ft. from my iMac w/ Linux). My
>partner's iMac is running Mac OS 9.0.4 and doesn't have any problems
>seeing or being seen from the other side of the base station.

Well, one interesting thing you can try then is to enable the
orinoco drivers's SPY feature for spying wireless activity. I
never used it so I can't tell you how it works, but you may be
able to find what you need on Jean Tourrihles page along with
the wireless tools. That way, you should be able to see the
encapsulated AppleTalk packets emitted by the base station &
the iMac and compare them to what is produced by the linux
driver.

Ben.