Re: mol ethernet config

Subject: Re: mol ethernet config
From: Brice D Ruth (brice@webprojkt.com)
Date: Wed Jul 11 2001 - 09:06:43 MDT

Hi Carlos,

You have a few options. Assuming that your gigabit ethernet card works
in YDL 2 (and if it doesn't, then frankly, you're hosed as far as I
know) - decide if you need AppleTalk and TCP/IP access or only TCP/IP
access. Things get simpler when you only need TCP/IP. In any case,
the first step is to define an entry as 'netdev' in your /etc/molrc.
 Whatever you define here will be presented to MacOS as 'Ethernet' - if
you define multiple interfaces here, you'll get multiple interfaces in
MacOS.

I personally use the ethertap driver for TCP/IP access - assuming that
your kernel has ethertap compiled (pretty safe bet if you're using the
standard kernel or if you modified the standard kernel, but didn't
remove ethertap support manually). The basic principle is that you'll
set up a private network between your MOL session and your Linux side
and then masquerade that to the outside world. Now - there are
certainly other ways to do this (or so I've heard) - but here's what I
do (assumes a 2.4.x kernel as well):

*/sbin/modprobe ethertap**
**/sbin/ifconfig tap0 172.16.113.1 broadcast 172.16.113.255 netmask
255.255.255.0 arp up**
**/sbin/iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o ethX -j MASQUERADE**
**echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward**
*
This should get things set up properly on the Linux side of things -
replace ethX with whatever your gigabit ethernet is configured as (eth0,
eth1 - whatever). Add the following to your /etc/molrc:

*netdev: tap0**
*
And boot into MacOS. You should now have an Ethernet device to
configure in your TCP/IP control panel - configure it as such:

*IP:* 172.16.113.2
*Netmask:* 255.255.255.0
*Gateway/Router:* 172.16.113.1
*DNS:* (whatever your DNS server is, I use 24.6.204.17)

That should be it! You should be able to access anything that your
Linux box has access to. Good luck - and if you need AppleTalk support,
write back. ;)

-Brice