Re: Can I do this

Subject: Re: Can I do this
From: Quentin Mason (quentin-mason@cornell.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 06 2001 - 19:49:16 MDT

> I just got my YDL and I am wondering: I've got an empty 1.9G
> partition. Can I just install it there without having to go thru all
> the reformatting and installing of MacOS?

Yes.

In the installer you should make (atleast) 2 partitions which fit in that
1.9G [reason: thou shalt always have a swap partition]. The main
partition will need to be switched to linux-type rather than macos-type
which is easy to do in the installer or pdisk or FWB etc. [You may need
to reboot after do this formating -- read the installation notes, which
excellent covert his exact topic (hint)].

As long as you never delete/ touch or otherwise fsck with your Mac
partitions it will be just fine.

BTW: this list is generally for questions about the excellent GPL software
by Samuel and others known as MOL - mac on linux which is a runtime
environment for running MacOS natively inside linux - rather than linux on
Macintosh hardware. I strongly recommend you check out MOL after
installing (it will be part of the default install more than likely) as it
enables one never to reboot into MacOS for stuff.

There is another list tailed for questions about yellow-dog-linux
available on their site. I am running linuxppc / soo Mandrake cooker-ppc
so I cannot help you with YDL-specific questions. I do know that LinuxPPC
comes with OEM-style FWB HD toolkit which can resize hfs+ partitions
though.

Good luck,

Q.