Re: ELF ?

Subject: Re: ELF ?
From: Bill Fink (billfink@capu.net)
Date: Fri Jun 08 2001 - 10:09:29 MDT

On Fri, 8 Jun 2001, Samuel Rydh wrote:

> On Thu Jun 07 2001, Donovan Warren wrote:
>
> >Oddly enough, there doesn't appear to _be_ a strip_nwrom binary installed.
> >This, perhaps, is why they left it out of the instructions ... I just find it
> >hard to comprehend how this makes it out as a paid release with missing parts
> >and installer bugs. Maybe my expectations are too high.

This is getting off topic for the MOL list, but I actually think the
YDL distro is one of the best for PPC Linux. I'm looking forward to
trying out YDL 2.0. Unfortunately I was one of the unlucky ones who
got bit by a bad Install CD, so I'll have to wait until I get a
replacement. As far as expectations, anything as complex as a PPC
Linux distro that needs to run on a huge variety of system types,
monitor types, and other various hardware peripherals, is bound to
have some bugs, but the YDL folks are generally pretty good at working
these things out.

> Actually, this is a new feature. It is no longer necessary
> to strip the ROM since (MOL no longer uses with libelf,
> which expected the ELF header att offset 0). This holds
> for 0.9.59 (the version bundled with YDL 2.0).

Cool!

> Moreover, the rsync version can load the ROM directly from the
> HFS/HFS+ partition (there is a new '-boot' flag which
> can be used to tell MOL which disk to startup from).

Even cooler!

> BTW: Do not use session save and restore with the rsync version -
> the reimplementation of the block driver does not yet support
> it.

Good to know.

> Regards,
>
> /Samuel

I hadn't noticed there was a new 0.9.59 version in the ftp area
(which I just downloaded). I noticed there wasn't a separate binary
for 2.4 kernels. Does this mean it's no longer necessary, i.e. does
the 0.9.59 binary run on both 2.2 and 2.4 kernels? This is mainly
just curiousity as I always build MOL from the source (which now
comes in two parts, namely mol and mol-kmods).

                                                -Bill