Re: MOL kernel modules

Subject: Re: MOL kernel modules
From: Olaf Hering (olh@suse.de)
Date: Fri Jun 29 2001 - 12:01:11 MDT

On Fri, Jun 29, Samuel Rydh wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 28, 2001 at 08:29:36PM +0200, Olaf Hering wrote:
> >
> >My kernel rpms contain the mol modules since a year.
>
> This brings up another point - what is a good way to
> package MOL? I have the following in mind:
>
> mol-kmods-0.9.XX-kernelversion.rpm
> mol-0.9.XX.rpm
>
> 'make rpms' in the developer tree will actually create
> these RPMs. Currently the module is put into
> /usr/lib/mol/modules/, but it should probably go
> into /lib/modules/2.4.6-pre5/ instead.
>
> When a new kernel is installed, it would
> be sufficient to just rebuild the kernel module:
>
> rpm --rebuild mol-kmods-0.9.XX.src.rpm
> rpm -i mol-kmods-0.9.XX-v2.4.6-pre5.rpm
>
> This would also make it relatively simple to put
> together precompiled kernel modules for a large
> number of differnt kernels.
>
> Also, should startmol require an exact kernel
> version match by default?

If there is no technical problem to match the running kernel version
then having the modules in /usr/lib/mol/ should be ok.

I added /lib/modules/`uname -r`/misc to the beginning of the module
search path in my tree. But having it at the end would make more sense.

recompiling to match a given kernel tree would be a good idea.

Gruss Olaf

--
 $ man clone

BUGS Main feature not yet implemented...