Re: FTP to ?

Subject: Re: FTP to ?
From: Marcelo A. Ferreira Gomes (suporte@mac.com)
Date: Wed Mar 28 2001 - 07:30:46 MST

At 13:11 -0300 27/03/01, Nick Donnelly wrote:
>OK, here is a silly question that I could not find an answer to in
>the list archives: When you use a MOL ftp client to get files to/from
>the Linux side of the same box, what address do you ftp to? I can't
>tell if my firewalls are configured wrong or if I am just retarded.
>Thanx Bunches,
>Nick

Just issue the ifconfig command, with no arguments, from the Linux side.
It'll show you all of your active network interfaces. Apart from the
lo interface (which is the loopback interface), any other interface's
address is ok for you to use (just use the 'inet addr' for that interface).
The eth0 interface is probably what you want. Better yet would be if you
had a dummy0 interface, that could be always up.

That is supposing you haven't configured any kind of firewall protection
for some of those interfaces against access from your MacOS-side address.
You could be sure of this by issuing the 'ipchains -L' command from the
Linux side, and examining the output. But, if your kernel is kind of old,
it won't accept the ipchains command, making it necessary for you to use
ipfwadm.

Well, since this list is not on networking, but on mol, I'll stop now.
If you need further help, just drop me another note with your particular
output from those commands.

--
<mailto:suporte@mac.com>: não é ".br", mas é mais BR que os outros.
:-)