Just a comment

Subject: Just a comment
From: Sean Mahrt (bigmouth@pionet.net)
Date: Tue May 01 2001 - 20:37:08 MDT

For all you cheap speed demons (myself included). Try this

1. Set up a raid of some sort. Right now I have 2 45GB ide's raid
strpied for part of the drives. Will be bringing up a 4x9 scsi set on
raid 5 soon!

2. make the file system (/dev/md0)

3. Make MOL just haul by setting this as a block device

blkdev: /raid_stripe (the volume mount point, or you could use
/dev/md0) -rw -force

I personally MUCH prefer a giant file as my hard drive and let linux cache
the snot out of it. Format it ext2 to your hearts content. Just be sure
that you understand that to move data the best way is netatalk. One of
these day's i'll upgrade the g3-233 in my beige, but for now it's cool to
move about 25-30 MB/sec out of that stripe bringing up macos.

:)

YMMV

Sean