Re: Benchmarking MOL

Subject: Re: Benchmarking MOL
From: Quentin Mason (quentin-mason@cornell.edu)
Date: Thu May 10 2001 - 19:47:59 MDT

> You don't want to even see the graphics test. If anybody wants, I can send
> them the macbench and my testing files. WHen I get closer to building the
> web site, I'll ask for people to submit tests to me...
>
> I was under the impression that the linux disk handling would be better
> (which it is), but I really was suprised by the processor efficiency. Is
> this all overhead? Mabye not an appropriate area for this discussion.

Is it possible that different MacOS versions make a big difference inside
MOL ? For example the ROM is handled differently < 8.6.

Your linux kernel version and whether you are using the Motorola
mathematics library libmoto or their MacOS extension on either side will
make some difference to scientific computing benchmarks [though -lmoto
will not help MOL I would imagine].

For graphics your board, Xserver and X-modules are the calibration
information you need for the tests.

I do not recall numbers but I think I recall being closer than you
reported for processor and floating point stuff, and better for disk w/
~2.2.19, MacOS 8.6, WallstreetII, no libraries.

Good Luck,

Q.