Re: modem on mol?

Subject: Re: modem on mol?
From: Quentin Mason (quentin-mason@cornell.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 02 2001 - 21:12:15 MDT

Hi Jose,

> I installed mol on my just installed YD 1.2 (I know its old, but the CD came
> to me and found me with a free partition)

I think that you will find that MOL has come a long way since then --
upgrade if you have not already.

> I was wondering if there is a way to let mol see the modem port, since I
> have reasons to connect from the mac side, but while running linux.

No. MOL can think that it is using the ethernet and linux can bridge
between ethernet and modem, but currently there is no way for the MacOS
inside MOL to see the modem. There are some examples of how to do this in
the archives.

> (I open Modem control panel on the emulated mac and it reads "no serial port
> available")

This is not going to change unless you write it :)
So any Mac modem software will not work either -- you will have to find a
linux version for a special need or get linux to bridge the modem w/
internal ethernet.

Good luck,

Q.