Minor problems with mol-0.9.60

Subject: Minor problems with mol-0.9.60
From: John M. Wright (jmw@chem.ucsd.edu)
Date: Sat Sep 01 2001 - 23:51:01 MDT

I've run into a couple of minor glitches with mol-0.9.60.
I'm running: Beige G3 with PowerLogix 450 MHz ZIF upgrade;
Several SCSI drives in addition to original hda; Yellow Dog
CS 1.2.1 (I've got YDL 2.0 installed also, but I really don't
like KDE 2.1. It's slow, clunky, and I can't find any way to
turn off the pompous-sounding startup music. So I'm sticking
with CS1.2 and kde 1.1 for a while); Home-grown kernel 2.2.19
(without altivec or usb support).

When I compile and make install the mol-kmods, they are installed
in /usr/lib/mol/modules/0.9.60/2.2.19-noav, which seems correct
and appropriate. When I run startmol (as root) the first time,
mol seems to start up OK, except that the sheep_net module is
not installed, as it was by previous versions. I can work around
this by first doing insmod /usr/lib/mol/modules/0.9.60/2.2.19-noav/
sheep_net.o. I have looked at the new startmol script, and it
seems to have machinery in place for installing sheep_net; it is
not immediatley obvious why the installation is not being
performed.

Strangely, if I stop mol and try to restart it, the startup fails;
all I get is the message about "No mol-0.9.60 modules corresponding
to the running 2.2.19 kernel were found...." This message is _also_
output by startmol when mol is starting up _successfully_, right
after the "Loading Mac-on-Linux kernel module:
 /usr/lib/mol/modules/0.9.60/2.2.19-noav/mol.o" message.

If I unload the mol module with "rmmod mol", then mol will start
up again successfully.

Along with this, I find that if I run "startmol --list" before startng
MOL up for the first time, it returns both "Installed Modules:" and
"Running Kernel:" as 2.2.19-noav, whereas if startmol --list is run
after starting mol, and before unloading the mol module, it returns
"Installed Modules:" as 2.2.19-noav, but "Running Kernel:" as 2.2.19.

I'd appreciate any hints about how I might continue running mol
without all the manual insmod/rmmod activity. (Yes, I can put
the insmod sheep_net in rc.local or somewhere, but I stop and
re-start mol a lot, because mol freezes up a lot - unless
this latest version is a lot more stable!)

John Wright