Tanzania Support?

Dan mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Tue, 02 Apr 2002 09:58:52 +1000

Greetings,

Is it possible to run MOL under any kernel newer than 2.2.18 on a tanzania
603 board? I've been experiencing several incompatibilities .. often
resulting in kernel panics or having the machine simply hang.

My current Linux setup is a 7220/200 (4400) PPC with 96MB of RAM, a rage128
video card, 16x Sony CD-RW, and two Seagate IDE drives (40GB+10GB) ..
running yellowdog linux 2.1 (kernel 2.2.19) and mol 0.9.60.

I've never had MOL working under this setup, however it had never glitched
under LinuxPPC 2000Q4 (2.2.18/0.9.53) using kernel patches.

I am just hoping that when I buy a sonnet G3 upgrade for the old beast I
might be able to run a 2.4.x kernel (with stability!) and also have a
working MOL 0.9.60.(?)

What are your views on this? Anyone using a sonnet L2 G3 card under 2.4.x?
Or using MOL with a tanzania board (and/or 603 proc)?

Hope to get some feedback! I haven't found too much about this situation..
especially whether or not an L2 G3 card will work under linux..

Is there a future for the 603 and MOL?? (or even > 2.2 ?)

Cheers,
Dan B

P.S. Anyone who's ever dreamed of setting up a slave device on their
tanzania equipped macs.. the answer is simple.. Use Linux :)

also.. excuse my scattered type, I haven't slept in a good few days .. errk
:)