MOL future plans

Stefan Jeglinski mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Fri, 5 Apr 2002 16:07:16 -0500

>  >Better yet, any comments on the future of MOL?
>
>Well, I have lots of ideas but not quite as much time as
>I would like.

This is good news (except the time part :-). Frankly, I was beginning
to think the project was dead. Where should we be getting the source
tree from these days? Still at source.mvista.com?

>- A GUI to /etc/molrc. I'll probably use KDE for this but
>I haven't completely decided yet.

I'm out of my element here, but how about something a bit more
universal, like a menuconfig type of presentation? The new KDE 2.2/3
is nice but not so appropriate for older slower machines.

>I'm open for suggestions though. What is the most
>pressing issue?

Besides the clock slowdown? :-)

Personally, I run MOL in a very narrow-minded fashion, to run the
SIMS mailserver on a Linux box. In this regard, I cannot speak well
to your question; I'm interested in raw 24/7/365 reliability and the
clock slowdown is a real performance issue for me. Otherwise, to me
the thing that might most keep MOL marginalized is the inability to
use peripherals. It appears that your USB support goal would largely
solve this, so I vote to emphasize that. Otherwise, fast video would
be best for the user experience, but I realize this is not a trivial
thing and people who use MOL for the Mac user experience may have
misplaced priorities.

I'm curious about the OSX/Darwin motivation. MOL is useful because,
for example, it can bridge a productivity gap, either 'real' because
some good app is only available in MacOS, or 'imagined' simply
because a user feels more comfortable in MacOS. But I tend to see
running OSX on MOL on LinuxPPC a bit like running a Windows emulator
inside of Redhat-x86 inside of VPC - interesting to do, but what real
purpose does it serve? What am I missing here?

Oh, I almost forgot... a return to 603 support :-) But if this is not
going to happen, better to just announce so once and for all, weather
the storm, and move on, rather than keeping it as 'maybe someday
again'.

Stefan Jeglinski