MOL future plans

mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Sat, 6 Apr 2002 16:37:53 +0200

On Sat, Apr 06, 2002 at 01:51:21PM +0200, Anne et Bertrand wrote:
> > - A GUI to /etc/molrc. I'll probably use KDE for this but
> > I haven't completely decided yet.
>
> Well, here's the war : KDE is slow at startup on slow computers. If KDE is
> not the desktop, a kde app has to start all the machinery (DCOP, all the
> parts used in the application and so on...) So it's very annoying for
> small apps that should start instantly.
>
> To compare tow small apps (kdesu and xsu, the gtk based equivalent) on my
> 180 mhz 603 ppc :
> kdesu : 47'' startup time (kde-2.2, Mandrake 8.0)
> xsu : 2'' startup time.

The main reason why I'm considering KDE is because I find the
API superior. An alternative would be writing it using QT or
perhaps just a ncursor based menu system.

> Other people talked about 603 support : I can't use mol since I switched
> to kernel 2.4.
> Maybe I could do some testing and tracing ?

Unfortunately, debugging this kind of problem by proxy is
difficult at best. But I think I can get hold of a 6200 shortly.
With the nubus compatible 2.4 kernel, I should be able to get
Linux running on it.

> Last suggestion : serial support. I don't understand anything in
> ethertap/tunetap + ipchains.

Automating the ethertap/tuntap/ipchains configuration is on my to-do list.

/Samuel