using USB to HotSync Palm IIIc

Derrik Pates mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Sat, 6 Apr 2002 14:51:56 -0700

On Sat, Apr 06, 2002 at 03:53:31PM +0300, Jouko-Thomas Kleine wrote:
> I have a Palm IIIc PDA and I'm using Palm's serial to USB adapter to
> sync it with my iBook. I don't get HotSync to recognise it in MOL, but I
> must admit that I havent tryed very hard because I don't understand half
> of what I'm doing when configuring my Linux installation. I remember
> reading in the MOL User Guide that MOL understands all devices that are
> configured in Linux, so maybe my problem comes from Linux not supporting
> my serial to USB adapter? Is MOL itself capable of communicating with
> USB devices (my USB mouse works under MOL when I try it)? Maybe I could
> do without HotSyncing in MOL if I could get similar functionality as in
> Palm Desktop in Gnome but then I would have to get  my PDA to sync with
> Linux anyway.  Another problem is that besides Palm Desktop I'm using
> WordSmith which I think doesn't have a conduit for any form of Linux
> running in a Power PC.

You're talking about the PalmConnect USB USB-to-serial device, right?
You do know that as of 2.4.18, that is supported by the kernel? You
won't be able to sync it with Palm Desktop on MacOS running in MoL, but
you can sync it with any of the Linux Palm/Pilot tools available. (I've
used mine with both x86 and PPC-based machines running 2.4.18 kernels,
so I can tell you it does work.)

--
Derrik Pates      |   Sysadmin, Douglas School   |    #linuxOS on EFnet
dpates@dsdk12.net |     District (dsdk12.net)    |    #linuxOS on OPN