Run Darwin programs on LinuxPPC?

Ethan Blanton mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Mon, 15 Apr 2002 16:37:51 -0400

--jRHKVT23PllUwdXP

Derrik Pates spake unto us the following wisdom:
> On Mon, Apr 15, 2002 at 08:22:10AM +0200, Matthias Urlichs wrote:
> > Given that Linux supports multiple kernel personalities, it should be
> > possible to write a kernel personality (and a Mach-O object loader) to
> > make Darwin binaries run under LinuxPPC.
>=20
> Well, that would make some of the really simple stuff
> (command-line-only) work fine, most of that stuff isn't really very
> interesting. The real problem is the Quartz display engine. I don't know
> what kind of info is available on the Quartz display engine at a
> protocol level, or how easy it would be to do something a'la Winelib, to
> provide a (mostly) compatible implementation of Quartz for the GUI apps
> to talk to. Plus, you'd still need either native or compatible libs for
> Cocoa and Carbon dynamically-linked apps to link with.

I might be confused here, but if we're doing true binary
compatibility, won't the OSX native Quartz binaries work?  ;-)  There
would have to be an OSX compatible *video ABI* for that to work, but I
don't think Quartz would have to be rewritten.

This is assuming Quartz is in userspace or can be coaxed into Linux
userspace; I suppose it is possible it is a Mach process, I'm not that
up on the issue.

Of course, as you said, the true blue OSX libraries would be required.
Ethan

--=20
If I've told you once, I've told you once
And once is all that you needed.
		-- The Refreshments, "Carefree"

--jRHKVT23PllUwdXP

--jRHKVT23PllUwdXP--