Run Darwin programs on LinuxPPC?

Matthias Urlichs mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Mon, 15 Apr 2002 23:03:47 +0200

Hi,

Derrik Pates:
> Why would it be more difficult to handle memory management?

Mach has these ... interesting ... message, or rather memory block,
passing mechanisms. They happen to be nontrivial to do in a standard Unix
environment, and they're rather helpful for graphics stuff (lots of large
display buffers to pass around), which is part of the reason why NeXT and
Apple chose Mach in the first place.

The biggest part of a proof-of-concept implementation would probably be
the kernel Mach-O loader -- debugging that sort of code requires the
ability to read disassembled code; I'm no stranger to asembly language in
general, but my PowerPC knowledge specifically is more-or-less
nonexistent.  :-/

--
Matthias Urlichs     |     noris network AG     |     http://smurf.noris.de/