MOL 0.9.64 on an oldworld mac clone

Allan Fields mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Thu, 1 Aug 2002 17:52:26 -0400

Hi,

I just wanted to share my experiences with running version 0.9.64 on a mac
clone running the linuxppc-2.4.19-rc3-benH kernel.  This machine is an
oldworld Genesis MP PCI (6 slot model) clone with a G3 XLR8 upgrade card and
OF 1.0.5.  It has two onboard SCSI chains.  Mac OS is rock solid running on
this machine natively.  LinuxPPC is also rock solid on the above kernel.

I've had some amount of luck with MOL after I grabbed a ROM image using the
handy (and surprisingly simple) ROM Grabber tool.  I first attempted to use
the TomeViewer approach, but that ROM didn't work.  Also, running w/o a ROM
image didn't work on this machine.  This machine won't boot using any of the
Open Firmware booters and I'm wondering if the ROMs aren't of a special
design versus an Apple 9500 ROM set.  (MOL bootstrapping/initialization takes
about 10-20 seconds on this machine.)

MOL works (and on a couple of tries was very usable [see screenshots])
although there are stability problems and at some points there are SCSI
errors (scsi-bus: Going busfree...; Could not register MESH...) and invalid
system calls (Unsupported csop XX...).  Also the Finder sometimes freezes
totally and/or quits and restarts in a tight loop.  I've booted both Mac OS 8
and Mac OS 9 and off the install CD.  I've also tried a variety of
combinations of extensions and disabling all extensions.  One thing that has
helped is getting rid of Quickdraw GX and other graphics acceleration inits.

Other problems include mouse errors with window focus and shading, controls
not being clickable (interfaced as USB mouse), total mouse button lockups,
network applications that tend to freeze up but can sometimes still be
force-quit, clock stalls, sound output freezing Mac OS, and general stability
issues with some mac applications.

One very, very messed up application is Internet Explorer 5.1.5.  Internet
Explorer is very stable under native MacOS 9 with a small footprint and never
leaks on me like Netscape, Mozilla and Opera do.  It seems to torch the whole
setup whenever its downloading pages under MOL.  There are sometimes some
network buffer errors associated with these problems.

Other times the resolution (desktop size) switches sporadically in X
window/xvideo setup and displays an error (Bad Expose event, 0 0...), but
seems to continue along fine.  I can switch between X windowing mode and full
screen w/o issue given I satisfy my framebuffer dilemma (unsupported
IMS,tt3di card always runs at fixed frequency).  I'm very happy running the
Mac desktop at a full 1792x1434 with almost no delays except an initial sweep
at startup and console switching.  Any other video problems are probably to
blame on the framebuffer mode vs. accelerated situation.

I can help out where you need me to on testing/debugging.

Thanks,
	Allan

Screenshots:
- http://webhome.idirect.com/~afields/snapshot1.png