Possible ideas for MOL

Allan Fields mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 17:46:02 -0400

Hi,

Since my MOL is very stable for me now, I can share some ideas I had for the
future.  Maybe if I have the time I could help commit some of them.  Samuel,
I'm sure you've thought of most of these already, plus most are really just
icing type features.  MOL is amazing enough as it is, don't feel pressure to
act on any of these.

Is it possible to allow MOL to window Mac OS windows over the X Window
desktop and maybe even set the root to the Mac Desktop.  Or instead of the
Mac desktop on the X root, since some desktops such as KDE and GNOME use this
space already -- perhaps keep the desktop window opened at the same time and
do sort of like this: you would be dragging a window inside the (smaller) Mac
desktop but then as you brought it to the edge of the MOL window, it would
resist for a second then snap out onto the full X desktop as another window
in the MOL class.

Seems like MOL, could rival Mac OS X in ease of use of the classic
environment.

I like the idea of the session saving.  This would be very nice.  I still
don't understand why all operating systems don't have proper session
management and persistence.

Is there any way to make Reboot actually hook into a mol routine and restart
mol on the Linux side?  Then also it might be possible to make Sleep perform
a power management routine under Linux (although I have no need for that
myself).  Shutdown should always shutdown the Mac emulator only though, IMO.

One idea is a small INIT that would alter the special menu and supply:
"Restart" (Restarts MOL), "Shutdown" (Stops MOL), Separator, "Reboot" (Stops
MOL, issues reboot), "Halt" (Stops MOL, issues shutdown -h now), "Power off"
(Stops MOL, issues shutdown -p now).  Each could hook into a handler routine
which might have a time value to wait instead of 'now'.  But maybe this is an
entirely dumb thing to do since, it's easy enough to quit MOL and then type:
'shutdown'.   :)  Can MOL install a signal handler that would make it safer
to kill, or does it matter?  I don't see the harm in crashing Mac OS since
it's happened numerous times already to me in the past.  Sometimes it will do
a disk check.

I tried making a script such as I mentioned previously, it's kind of a lot of
work to make all those steps happen from the Mac side, thus not worth the
effort.  Plus I haven't found it easy to mangle the Virtual Memory settings,
even though newer versions of Mac OS 9 should support that from AppleScript
according to Apple's website.  AppleScript support should be in all system
components at least, otherwise, what's the point.

Allan