Building pci_roms/of from source

Samuel Rydh mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Fri, 6 Dec 2002 15:56:47 +0100

On Tue, Dec 03, 2002 at 09:16:19PM +0100, Jens Schmalzing wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently tried to build myself the OpenFirmware implementation that
> comes pre-compiled as pci_roms/of with Mac-on-Linux.  The build itself
> went fine, and when I use the resulting binary to start Mac OS or
> Linux, it works as expected.  However, upon shutdown of the virtual
> machine, the whole system hangs for some time, and when it becomes
> responsive again, I find the message
>
> | ***** SIGNAL 1 [Hangup] in thread async-io thread *****
> | HUP: _pid 0, _uid 0
>
> in the mol output.  Any ideas?

The I/O thread did not terminate nicely. Probably, the main
thread was killed somehow without proper cleanup. The I/O thread
has very high priority in order to reduce latency (essentially, it
just monitors a set of file descriptors and cause a interrupt when
there is pending I/O). If one of the monitored file descriptors
is closed (e.g. a pipe), then the poll loop might under certain
circumstances turn into a 'for(;;) ;' loop.

It has nothing to do with the OF loader...

/Samuel