What do all these error messages mean?

r. may mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
05 Jul 2002 17:25:35 -0400

> I am ashamed to admit that I have no idea how to do that.  I am that new
> to Linux.  How and what do I recompile in order to make mol work on my
> computer?

Well we all have to learn at some point. This is how I do it.

First make a directory for the source where ever you want. [I put my
source codes in /usr/src/Downloads, just to keep them in one place.]

cd into that directory and use rsync to get the source.

# rsync -arvz --delete  source.mvista.com::mol .

the space and period at the end are necessary.

once everything is downloaded do this:

# ./autogen.sh

# ./configre   [this will install to /usr/local]
	or
# ./configure --prefix=/usr [this will install to the /usr directory
which is where you seem to have it]

# make

# make libimport [this will download a few more files you need]

# make install

Later on if you change kernels and just want to make the modules then
you should be able to get away with:

# make clean
# make modules
# make install_modules

Most programs are compiled in this way or something similar.  Check
their README or INSTALL files.  These will tell you if special commands
are needed.  Also "./configure --help" will print out a list of features
that you can enable or disable if needed.  Usually you don't need to
enable or disble stuff but every once in a while you do.

enjoy,

r.May