PPC PCI cards on x86

Philip Cummins mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Sun, 7 Jul 2002 00:54:33 +0800 (WST)

Hello,

> So you are referring to
> http://www.sonnettech.com/product/crescendo_7200.html
> This looks quite an interesting proposition then.

Yes, it does seem pretty interesting, it would be something interesting to
try out since it is pretty cheap to get the low end models. The only issue
is that it uses 70 ns DIMMs onboard, these may be slowing it down a bit,
I'm all for PC100+ RAM these days.

> The Microcode Solutions site just says that a page will come soon - no
> details yet.

Yes, it's been like that for a while now since some legal issues earlier
on. From memory, it was a IBM 750FX PPC coupled to an integrated PCI
Memory Bridge Controller and 1 or 2 SO-DIMM slots on a single PCI card. We
should expect to see them sometime this year; when, I'm not sure. This is
a hardware solution dedicated for running a Mac emulator on a PC, however
if Microcode releases a SDK this would be of benefit to people using the
hardware for other purposes (multiprocessing anyone?)

PC