Problems getting mol to boot linux - help, I need a HOWTO

mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Fri, 19 Jul 2002 13:17:16 +0200

On Thu, Jul 18, 2002 at 08:31:38AM -0700, David Richardson wrote:
> Does anyone have a primer on getting MOL 0.9.64 to
> boot linux?
>
> I think I have it, but the keyboard doesn't work
> right, and the mouse might not either for all I know.

Well, you need a kernel with with special MOL drivers.
BenH recently talked about adding them to his kernel tree. Until
then, there is a kernel diff in the FTP archive:

	ftp://ftp.nada.kth.se/pub/home/f95-sry/Public/mac-on-linux/
		linux-in-mol/mol-kerneldrivers.patch.gz

Apply this patch to a recent 2.4 kernel and turn on the CONFIG_MOL option.
(There is a also precompiled kernel in the same directory as the patch.)

The patch contains drivers for the following:

	- mouse & keyboard
	- ethernet
	- block driver
	- interrupt controller

The MOL linux disks exported in /etc/molrc.linux will not have
device entries in /dev/ (except if devfs is used). You will
have to do

	mknod b /dev/disk0 b 254 0
	mknod b /dev/disk1 b 254 1
	mknod b /dev/disk2 b 254 2

from the shell prompt.

To boot from /dev/disk0, you will have to use the
cmdline 'root=/dev/mol".

Hope this helps get you started. I've not yet had the time
to put together proper documentation...

Cheers,

/Samuel