quick setup

J.R. Lillard mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Tue, 18 Jun 2002 10:45:09 -0500

right.  and i've tried all that.  compiling everything always results in
a seg fault that i posted about yesterday.  as far as i can tell,
however, my kernel is working fine.  i've always been dealing with mol
0.9.63.  and the kernel i've been compiling has been 2.4.18.  just for
kicks, i compiled 2.2.21 this morning.  mol wouldn't even compile
correctly.  it attempts to reference a function in the kernel headers
called get_zeroed_page.  i looked and there's no mention of
get_zeroed_page in the 2.2.21 kernel source anywhere.  so i'm guessing
it's new to the 2.4 kernel.  i never saw anything saying that mol
requires the 2.4 kernel though.

regardless, the only time i've gotten mol to work was with a precompiled
2.4.18 kernel and a binary distribution of mol that matched.  and even
then the sheep_net module wouldn't load due to unresolved symbols
leaving me without networking.  compiling allows me to load the modules
without a problem, but like i said, mol just seg faults right away.  i
thought maybe there was a distribution out there with working mol
binaries i could try just to see it all work.

since i actually saw things work once (without networking of course) i
have to think my setup on the mac side is okay.  i extracted a mac os
rom file from the os 9.2.2 updated.  this rom file is version 8.7 and is
not listed on the compatibility list on the mol website.  is it possible
that there's something in the rom file causing the crash?  i've still
got the 9.2.1 installer.  i might try it with that rom instead since
it's actually listed on the compatibility chart as working.