MOL takes 100% CPU and never boots

Derrik Pates mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Sun, 5 May 2002 22:11:59 -0600

On Sat, May 04, 2002 at 10:57:36PM -0700, Jeffrey Baker wrote:
> I googled around and searched the archives but didn't see this
> problem.  I have install mol on my PowerBook G4 (1st rev), but it
> doesn't boot.  It shows the grey screen with the happy mac icon, but
> after that it just takes up 100% CPU all the time.  I left it for 20
> minutes and it was still doing that.
>
> MacOS is on /dev/hda9, which is also where MacOS X is installed.
> The machine normally boots yaboot, which chooses between Linux or
> MacOS.  MacOS is configured to boot MacOS X.  I haven't booted MacOS
> 9 in ages, except in Classic.  My Linux is Debian unstable
> distribution and kernel 2.4.18-pre4-ben0.

Next time, you might look at the list archives (mentioned at the bottom
of each message you see on this list). But I'll be a pal and save you
the search.

You last booted MacOS X on the shared OS 9/OS X partition, didn't you?
The OS X System folder is still blessed, so when the Mac OS ROM image is
loaded, and it tries to load System and Finder from the blessed (still
OS X) System folder. It doesn't grok those files, and gets itself stuck
in a tight loop. You can get your OS 9 System folder reblessed in one of
2 ways:

    - Boot OS X, use the Startup Disk preference panel to bless the OS 9
      System folder. Boot back into Linux, then use MoL.

    - Add a line like the following:

       blkdev: /dev/cdrom -cd -boot

      to your /etc/molrc. (Preferably toward the top, before any other
      blkdev: lines.) Insert an OS 9.x CD in the CD-ROM drive, and start
      up MoL. Use the Startup Disk control panel to bless the OS 9
      System folder. Quit MoL, remove the line you added previously,
      then start MoL again.

--
Derrik Pates      |   Sysadmin, Douglas School   |    #linuxOS on EFnet
dpates@dsdk12.net |     District (dsdk12.net)    |    #linuxOS on OPN