Networking in mol running on a firewalled machine

Geert Janssens mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Thu, 30 May 2002 16:11:50 +0200

Hello,

I'm having trouble setting up network access in mol. The way I have it
configured now, I can access the local network machines, but not the
internet.

The box mol is running on also serves as a firewall/router for my local
network. I have mol setup via the tun/tap device, but I have read that
the default tunconfig file is not sufficient if mol is run on a firewall
box.

I've been searching the mol-general list archives and the net with
google, but I didn't find sufficient information to help my specific
situation. So finally, I ask you people on this list, can someone
explain to me what I should do now ?

Here is some additional information on my setup:
- YDL 2.2 on a beige G3/233
- kernel 2.4.19-pre8 compiled from source, tun support built-in enabled
(ethertap disabled though)
- mol 0.9.64 (source rsynched and compiled a couple of days ago)

Relevant entries in the molrc file are:
netdev:         eth0
netdev:         tun0 -tun
tunconfig_script:       /etc/tunconfig

/etc/tunconfig is a copy of the tunconfig sample that comes with the mol
documentation in the source tarball. I did change the network addresses
from 192.168.1.0/24 to 192.168.0.0/24 though, because that's what my
local network is using.

When I execute startmol the following is logged to screen during startup
(I only print the network information.
Ethernet Interface (port 1) 'tun-<tun0>' @ 00:00:0D:EA:DB:EE
Ethernet Interface (port 2) 'sheep-<eth0>' @ FE:FD:DE:AD:BE:EF

This machine also serves as the firewall/router of my local network. As
far as I know iptables works fine on my machine. (The routing works
nicely on the local network).

Thanks in advance,
Geert janssens