Problems with sound

Carlos Perelló Marín mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
12 Nov 2002 20:48:07 +0100

--=-6rpmN79O581iDKIDWMSd

El mar, 12-11-2002 a las 18:02, Niklaus Giger escribi=F3:
> Hi
> I enjoy using MacOnLinux. On my Powerbook everything is okay, but on my
> PowerMac I have problems using sound.
> Sound under KDE is no problem. But everytime I call startmol I cannot
> hear the startboing and I have the following error in my mol.0.log
> ----> Sound Disabled. Failed to open /dev/dsp
> But ls -axl /dev/dsp gives me the following output
> crw-rw----    1 root     audio     14,   3 2002-03-14 10:11 /dev/dsp
> As I didn't find any hint via Google or in the archive I try to post to
> mailing list.
>=20
> What could be the problem?

The problem seems to be that KDE's artsd has /dev/dsp busy, so mol
cannot use it. You should ask arts to release /dev/dsp or use a wrapper
to execute mol with artsd (I don't use KDE, I use gnome and we have
esddsp to do it with our sound daemon, you need just found the arts'
esddsp)
=20
>=20
> Best regards