nvram -p does not work

Samuel Rydh mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Tue, 19 Nov 2002 12:57:15 +0100

On Mon, Nov 18, 2002 at 02:46:52PM +0100, Andreas Schwab wrote:
> I'm using Mac OS 10.1.5.  When I try "nvram -p" I get the error message:
>
> nvram: Error (-536870201) getting the Open Firmware variables
>
> Maybe related: the IORegistryExplorer aborts when I try to visit
> /device-tree/options:
>
> RExplorer.m:175: failed assertion `KERN_SUCCESS == status'

Yes... I have observed this problem. It is a bit annoying
when one wants to browse the device tree.

The MOL platform driver is supposed to support the NVRAM (and I
believe this works correctly). I suspect it is the contents
of the NVRAM that is incorrect. In fact, unless you have
done something to /var/lib/mol/nvram.x, it is probably identically
zero...

If you copy /dev/nvram to nvram.x, the error will probably go away.
The contents of the NVRAM will be somewhat bogus though, since
MOL does not interpret or modify it. (I haven't really seen the
need to teach MOL to do the full NVRAM stuff...)

/Samuel