corrupted video when booting GNU/Linux

mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Wed, 2 Oct 2002 19:26:02 +0200

On Wed, Oct 02, 2002 at 12:08:54AM -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I'm trying to use MOL to boot GNU/Linux; I'm excited about the prospect
> of being able to test the Debian installer without rebooting.  However,
> all my attempts thus far have led to corrupted video and nothing else
> visibly happening.  Here's a screenshot:
>
> http://web.verbum.org/~walters/files/shots/17.html
>
> I started mol like: startmol --linux --session=4

This is a depth issue. MOL-linux only handles depth 24
at the moment. Some other issues:

i) You need to load the ldev kernel modules (these are in the
ldev bitkeeper tree) from a driver disk using a pivot-root
type of setup or add the ldev kernel modules directly to
the kernel. Without these drivers, the keyboard won't work for
instance.

ii) The ldev block driver is broken at the moment. I did some
changes to the mol part of the driver when I added OSX support
to mol but I haven't updated the ldev driver yet.

I'll probably shape up the MOL-linux support in the not so distant
future and make avilable proper kernel-patches/precompiled kernels.

Cheers,

/Samuel