HOWTO: MOL 0.965 and Yellow Dog 2.3 (HTML E-Mail) also a quick not on Networking....

Jamie Maynard mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Mon, 07 Oct 2002 15:01:57 +0200

Hi Jose

Have you seen my recent post on compiling a new kernel?  There I have
detailed how I compile a kernel.  If the kernel from my site fails then
there is a good chance that your C-Compiler is broken.  In rare cases the
C-Compiler can become broken.

But I am glad you had success with out compiling a new kernel, personally my
experiences of compiling anything against the YDL 2.3 kernel was not good.
It's still my recommendation people compile a new kernel.  There are two
reasons for this.  The first is that you get a kernel which is optimized for
your system, you can remove things like alti-vec support, 601 workarounds
and other non-applicable stuff from your kernel which will improve your
system performance and thus the performance of MOL.  The second reason is
the kernel which comes with YDL 2.3 is not a stable kernel, it was
2.4.18-pre8 if I remember correctly.  They have changed the Makefile so that
it claims to be 2.4.18 (Final) by using my kernel sources you get 2.4.19
(Final) which is stable.

Jamie