MOL Compiling (cont)

Arch & Cath mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Wed, 04 Sep 2002 15:55:58 -0400

Finally got everything compiled and made and copied vmlinux and System.map
into /boot and vmlinux into linux Kernels folder in the Mac System folder.
Selected my new system in the BootX control panel.  System starts to boot,
however, stops and asks me to sign in root because of file problems.  When I
try the usual "fsck /dev/sdc" I get "Superblock could not be read or does
not describe a correct ext2 file system".   When I go back to the old kernel
everything works.

I am still a bit confused about how the kernel works in a Mac.   If it boots
from the kernel in the Mac System folder, why do we need the one in /boot?

All of the PPC kernel rebuild procedures I got off the web (Newbie & Linux
PPC Kernel) say to start in /usr/src/linux which is what I have done.
Belatedly I read the 2.4.xx READ ME and it says  "Do NOT use the
/usr/src/linux area!"   Have I farkeled the library header files in
/usr/src/linux?

It appears to me that I now have kernel files in /usr/src/linux, /root and
the Mac System folder!  Which one is actually being used?   Should i start a
build over in some other file system?  How do I restore the library headers?

HELP!

Arch