Please have a look at my console report !!!

mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Fri, 20 Sep 2002 12:54:15 +0200

On Fri, Sep 20, 2002 at 10:36:11AM +0200, Jamie Maynard wrote:
> Sorry I am not writting to help other than to say I seem to have the
> same problem.  I can run Mac OS X and even boot a linux kernel with out
> any problems, but as soon as I go to run Mac OS 9.2.2 MOL dies on me.
> I'm not sure if this is a bug in MOL or if there is something I can do
> to fix this.
>
> On Thursday, September 19, 2002, at 09:46 PM, Jan Bennert wrote:
>
>> [root@localhost root]# startmol
>> Mac-on-Linux 0.9.65 Copyright (C) 1997-2002 Samuel Rydh
>> Config dir: /etc/mol
>>..
>> HFS  images/moldisk.i MOL                <read-only>     0 MB
>> HFS  /dev/hda9        bootstrap          <read-write>   10 MB
>> ----> /dev/hda9 might be a boot-strap partition.
>> HFS  /dev/hda10       OS 9               <read-write> 2297 MB
>> HFS+ /dev/hda11       JAGUAR             <read-write> 48741 MB
>> No volumes found in '/dev/hdb'
>> No volumes found in '/dev/sda'
>> No volumes found in '/dev/sdb'
>>
>> ***** SIGNAL 11 [Segmentation fault] in thread main-thread *****
>>    si_signo = 11, si_errno 0, si_code 00030001, si_addr 0x2a
>>    Last RVEC: 0x0 (0), last OSI: 0, mac_nip FFF00100
>>    NIP record_find_node + 0x60
>> ***** Backtrace *****
>>    7fffe854: backtrace + 0x3c
>>    7fffe874: signal_handler + 0x164

This is due to a bug in the hfs-plus utils (mol contains a stripped
compiled-in copy whose purpose is loading the MacOS ROM file). In
fact, a similar segmentation fault has been reported if one tries
to use the hfs-plus command line tools directly to copy the MacOS
ROM file to the linux side.

I actually added the symbolic backtrace in order to get a better
idea what goes wrong here. I'll see if I can locate the bug from
this information. If not, perhaps the author of the hfs-plus utilities
has some idea. (I did check for recent bug-fixes some time ago, but
I couldn't find any that would affect this).

The main problem is that I can't reproduce the bug locally. If
someone who experience this bug could track it down and fix it,
it would be great. Another possibility is giving me remote
access (the a machine should preferably be located in Europe,
since the latency accross the Atlantic is quite bad for the blood
pressure).

If worst come to worst, I can always rewrite the hfs-plus code.
The hfs-plus utils provides more functionality than mol
really needs. Reimplementing only the basics wouldn't take
all that long (and the code size would be reduced).

Oh... and there is a workaround. Transfer the 'MacOS ROM' file
to the linux side and add a 'newworld_rom: /path/to/rom'
line in /etc/mol/molrc.macos. Just make sure the file
is not MacBinary encoded in the process.

Cheers,

/Samuel