No Altivec

mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Wed, 25 Sep 2002 11:47:03 +0200

On Wed, Sep 25, 2002 at 10:30:43AM +0200, Jamie Maynard wrote:
> By default MOL detects whether you need Alti-vec support and compiles
> the modules accordingly.  the "-noav" is MOLs detection at work so it
> will compile the modules without Altivec support.
>
> Jamie
>
> > I'm trying to run mol on an IBM rs6k with 2.4.19.
> > How do I compile a kernel module without altivec-support?
> > Is there a switch for ./configure ?
> >
> > #startmol --list
> > -------------------------
> > Running kernel:   2.4.19-noav
> > -------------------------
> > Available modules:
> >    2.4.19    in /usr/local/lib/mol/0.9.65
> > -------------------------
> >
> > H‰lsningar/Regards
> > Christian Johansson

Well, MOL examines the kernel headers in order to determine
whether AltiVec is enabled or not (it doesn't matter what kind
of CPU the machine has). MOL also checks if the running
kernel was compiled with altivec support.

The thing is that a module compiled with AltiVec is not
compatible with a kernel without AltiVec support (this
is true for MOL and probably also for other kernel
modules).

To compile the mol kernel module without AltiVec, just make
sure the kernel headers mol uses have been configured
with AltiVec off. Preferably the headers used to build your
running kernel should be used.

You should probably do 'make menuconfig ; make dep ; make' in
the kernel tree. You need to start the build in order to properly
generate the version.h file (but you can abort it after
the compilation has started).

/Samuel