MacOS 9 configuration suggestions?

Derrik Pates mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Mon, 11 Aug 2003 06:39:46 -0400

On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 11:23:32AM +0200, Samuel Rydh wrote:
> MacOS doesn't like read-only boot volumes. Numerous applications
> will complain/error when the pref folder is unwritable.

Yes, I've noticed. IE for Mac is a notable one.

> If you have separate boot volumes, then you could
> do something like
>
> ifempty ${altconfig}
> 	blkdev:		/dev/hde7 -rw -boot	# Mac OS image
> 	blkdev:		/image/for/user1 -rw
> } else {
> 	blkdev:		/dev/hde8 -rw -boot	# Mac OS image
> 	blkdev:		/image/for/user2 -rw
> }
>
> Or one could hack MOL in order to treat -ro disks as -rw but instead
> of writing data to the medium, cache the differences in memory.

Or I could just make copies of the disk image that I'm booting MoL from,
I guess.

> Well, the main bottleneck is probably networking. Running
> a remote session takes quite a bit of bandwidth.

I've got a fast Ethernet NIC in it (3Com 3c905), so it should do
alright. If I were still using the MACE Ethernet, it'd probably be a
bigger issue.

--
Derrik Pates
dpates@dsdk12.net