Sound in mol dev

Brian Ruth mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Tue, 19 Aug 2003 14:59:57 +0100

Hi Samuel,

> > It now compiles okay, but it's very unstable in either OSX or 9.2.
> > OSX started once, but frequently stopped responding for long periods.
> > 9.2 doesn't get
> > farther than checking the disc for errors. Ctrl-C won't kill it - it says
> > 'cleaning up...', but then locks, and needs a 'kill -9' to stop it...
>
> Hmm... it sound like some of the autogenerated files were not
> recompiled correctly. Could you try compiling a fresh clone of
> the tree (preferably after a reboot)?

Same problem, I'm afraid!

I've deleted my mol-bk tree, and deleted the contents of /usr/local/lib/mol/
0.9.69, and the re-cloned it from bk. I then rebooted the machine, and
rebuilt it. I haven't tried it with OSX yet, but OS 9.2 starts off okay,
says that it needs to check the disc, and then gets about 1/5 of the way
through this (judging by the progress bar), and then locks up. Ctrl-C now
does seem to quit it (perhaps that was a function of the term I was using
before).

I'm displaying MOL remotely via X - I haven't had a chance to try it on
the console with the latest bk tree yet. It's running under Debian 3.0 on
an IBM RS/6000 7248 43p (a PReP based machine with a 604 processor) using
a stock kernel.org 2.4.21 kernel (with a small patch applied to enable the
video card on this machine). Here's what's in the log:

Running in PowerPC 750 mode, 256 MB RAM
Timebase: 16.66 MHz, Bus: 66.66 MHz, Clock: 133 MHz
Using ps2 mouse on /dev/psaux
OHCI USB controller registered
Could not open '/var/local/mol/x11.kbd'
Video driver(s): [xvideo]
     640* 480, depth 8   { 0.0 } Hz
     800* 600, depth 8   { 0.0 } Hz
    1024* 768, depth 8   { 0.0 } Hz
    1152* 864, depth 8   { 0.0 } Hz
    1280*1024, depth 8   { 0.0 } Hz
    1600*1200, depth 8   { 0.0 } Hz
Ethernet Interface (port 1) 'sheep-<eth0>' @ FE:FD:DE:AD:BE:EF
MOL SCSI controller registered
    /dev/sg2 SCSI-<0:0:3> CD/DVD IBM      CDRM00203 BZ33
    SCSI /dev/cdrom  [skipped - handled as a generic SCSI device]
No volumes found in '/dev/hda'
No volumes found in '/dev/hdb'
No volumes found in '/dev/sda'
    HFS+ /dev/sdb6        Macintosh HD   <rw> 4357 MB
>> Mac-on-Linux OpenFirmware 0.9.12
>> Boot Disk: /pci/pci-bridge/mol-blk@0/disk@0:0 [HFS+]
>> Timer calibration fix: 16.66 MHz [49283]
>> Starting ELF boot loader
+ Mouse Driver v1.0
+ Asynchronous Block Driver v1.4
+ Video Driver v1.12
+ SCSI SIM v1.03

Brian.

Brian Ruth,
Evolutionary Anatomy Unit,
Department of Anatomy & Developmental Biology,
University College London,
Gower Street
WC1E 6BT

Tel: +44 (0)20 7679 6161 (UCL internal x46161)
E-Mail: b.ruth@ucl.ac.uk
WWW: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/~ccaabra