8600 scsi problem

Irene and/or Robert mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Wed, 17 Dec 2003 12:47:23 -0800

If you are trying to install from a mainstream distribution, you will find that
some ship with kernels incompatible with the 8600.  Yellow Dog works.  Gentoo
and (I believe) Mandrake do not.  SuSE works, but the ftp installer is broken.
You could download the YDL installer kernel and installer and try using that.
If it works then you can either install YDL or use YDL to build your own kernel
to use to install another distribution.

If it doesn't work, then you've obviously got another problem.  Someone else can
probably pin this down far better than me, but memory problems, disk problems
and scsi problems come to mind.  If you have macos installed then you might find
that Norton Disk Doctor (from Norton Utilities), FWB HardDisk Toolkit, or even
just Apple System Profiler, Drive Setup or SCSI Probe might help you to identify
hardware problems if you have any.

If someone has some better advice, listen to them and not me.