install MacOS-9 from linux

christophe barbe mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Tue, 7 Jan 2003 09:21:45 -0500

In case it can be useful to somebody else, here is a short description
of my install of MacOS-9 on a file under linux:

As root in the /root directory

~$ dd if=/dev/zero of=disk.hfs bs=1M count=500
~$ hformat -l "Classic" disk.hfs

hformat is part of the hfsutils suite. I have not find the equivalent to
format an hfs+ filesystem.

Then in /etc/mol/molrc.macos, I have (among others) the following lines:

# Session 0, boot from harddisk
ifeq ${session} 0 {
   blkdev:     /root/disk.hfs -rw -boot
   blkdev:     /dev/cdrom  -cd
}

# Session 1 (boot from install CD)
ifeq ${session} 1 {
   blkdev:     /dev/cdrom  -cd -boot
   blkdev:     /root/disk.hfs -rw
}

I then install MacOS-9 from the CD with:

~$ startmol -1

As the as the install is complete, I start the freshly installed OS
with:

~$ startmol

NOTE that under debian, you need to install the appropriate driver
package, here mol-drivers-macos.

Then to get the sound you have to copy the MOLAudio file from the Mol
disk (the red ball) into the 'Extensions' folder (located in the System
Folder) and then restart mol.

You can then add
   mount_mol_disk: no
in /etc/mol/molrc.macos to remove the red ball from the Mac desktop.

I have yet not figured out how to get the sound via esd. If I set esd in
the config file I still get: '----> Sound Disabled. Failed to open /dev/dsp'
So the only way I get sound is by disabling esd (esdctl off) and using
the dsp driver.

Christophe