Problems with updated mol

Samuel Rydh mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Wed, 22 Jan 2003 16:42:58 +0100

On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 07:21:39AM +0100, Jens Schmalzing wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been trying to use the rsync version of mol announced 4 Jan 2003
> for some time now, without any success whatsoever.  When I start the
> test suite, all I get is:
>
> on the terminal I am using, and an Oops on the console (I can copy
> that if required).  A second try at startmol --test freezes the
> system.

This is strange. The MOL virtualization engine hasn't changed
for quite a while...

Are you _certain_ the kernel headers used to compile MOL
are the correct ones? I recommend doing

	cd linux-kernel
	cp .config /tmp/config-bak
	make mrproper
	cp /tmp/config-bak .config
	make oldconfig
	make dep
	make
	# install the kernel
	make install_modules

Oh... and make sure you use the _same_ compiler to compile
both MOL and the kernel. I discovered the hard way that you can't
mix gcc2 and gcc3. Some kernel headers contain something
similar to (from memory)

	struct spinglock {
	#if GCCVERSION == 2
		int	dummy;
	#endif
	};

which makes it impossible to mix gcc versions. Apparently,
some gcc2 versions have trouble with empty structs...

Regards,

/Samuel