MOL and OSX on PPC604

Samuel Rydh mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Wed, 2 Jul 2003 15:18:40 +0200

On Wed, Jul 02, 2003 at 08:37:41AM +0100, Brian Ruth wrote:

> On Tue, 1 Jul 2003, Natalia Portillo wrote:
>
> > Officially is ilegal to run any MacOS on non-Apple hardware.
>
> Well, it's against the EULA, at any rate. But I do rather regard this as an
> interesting experiment, rather than as a permanent usage! I certainly don't
> think I'm doing Apple out of the sale of a computer...
>
> Presumably the EULA has changed? Not so long ago, there were all sorts of
> Mac clones on the market, which were specifically designed to run the MacOS.
>
> Anyway...
>
> > Also, the OS X 10.2 kernel requires G3 (I dont really know if MOL has
> > any workaround, but almost sure that not).

MOL presents the CPU as a G3 (or G4 if AltiVec is available). That the
real CPU is a 604 shouldn't matter. That OSX "requires" a G3 is because
the OSX doesn't support the hardware typically present in older systems
(not an factor when MOL is used though).

> The CPU doesn't support it, but MOL seems to notice whether it's there or not
> - the resulting MOL kernel modules differ depending upon whether AltiVec
> support is present in the kernel or not.

This is because module binary compatibility is affected by the
altivec setting of the kernel.

> I haven't yet got around to looking
> at the kernel sources to see exactly what the AltiVec stuff does, though...
>
> > P.S.: That "corrupted" screen is because it failed, boot it in verbose
> > mode to have the error message.
>
> Ah - I didn't think of that! Might be illuminating, I guess...

What MOL version are you using?

/Samuel