Ridiculously annoying CD-ROM problem which I'm surprised no one's addressed

J. Blank mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Sun, 20 Jul 2003 08:07:08 -0600 (MDT)

I've only seen one other person reporting a similar problem, and of course
no one posted an answer (much less a solution)... muy muy frustrating.

As others HAVE noted, later versions of VPC (I've tested 5 and 6... both
are b0rked, and I believe 4 is supposed to also be b0rked) do not work
with Mac-on-Linux. VPC 3 DOES WORK... however, it doesn't seem to support
CD images (does it? I've tried. Hard.) and so you must use an actual
CD-ROM drive (as MOL sees it, at least).

However, MOL doesn't seem to properly handle CD-ROM drives-- they still
are being internally seen as hard drives, no?-- and so VPC DOES NOT SEE
THE CD IN THE DRIVE...so very frustrating. Ridiculously so.

Please see the screenshot at http://jb.twu.net/oops.jpg and you will see
what I mean. There I am, with the Windows NT 4 WS install CD in the drive,
trying to install it (since Win98 is absolute shite), and though it's
plainly being seen by MOL (I can read from it just fine-- see the icon in
the top right), VPC does not recognize it as a CD. (I am using the CD-ROM
drivers provided by Connectix themselves. Microsoft's drivers on the
Windows NT 4 boot disk set ALSO DO NOT WORK, so please do not tell me to
try another driver on the PeeCee side. Two have failed in the identical
way. It is NOT the fault of VPC.)

Please, can someone help, or at the least give a simple and coherent
explanation of why CD-ROM support seems b0rked in this case?

Also-- IS it possible, after all, to feed a CD image to VPC? That is, can
you drag a certain sort of file onto the little CD icon in the VPC
taskbar, like you can with floppy images? I've tried making Disk Copy
images and mounting them as CDs that way, but it won't work.. the "button"
won't depress like it will when you drag a floppy-sized image over the
floppy "button" at the bottom.

Please help... please!

J e s s i c a    L e a h    B l a n k