Ridiculously annoying CD-ROM problem which I'm surprised no one's addressed

Samuel Rydh mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Mon, 21 Jul 2003 11:39:11 +0200

On Sun, Jul 20, 2003 at 08:07:08AM -0600, J. Blank wrote:
> However, MOL doesn't seem to properly handle CD-ROM drives-- they still
> are being internally seen as hard drives, no?-- and so VPC DOES NOT SEE
> THE CD IN THE DRIVE...so very frustrating. Ridiculously so.

CD-ROMs are indeed handled a bit like harddisks. (The latest MacOS
driver fools some software that looks for a CD, but not all).

In any case, the proper way to solve this problem is to give MOL
access to the CD-ROM at (SCSI/ATAPI) command level. I have this working
nicely for OS X and a Mac OS driver is the works (possibly within
a week). This makes it possible for MOL to access the CDs directly.

> Please, can someone help, or at the least give a simple and coherent
> explanation of why CD-ROM support seems b0rked in this case?

Well, VPC probably tries to get the meta-information about tracks
etc which is not supported.

/Samuel