I still cannot install OS X.

J. Blank mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Mon, 21 Jul 2003 09:36:05 -0600 (MDT)

I fixed the problem. Solution, a.k.a. HOW TO INSTALL OS X ON A PARTITION
(NOT A WHOLE DISK) OR A DISK IMAGE USING MOL: (fellow strugglers, take
note! ;) I'm sure SOMEONE else is struggling with this issue...)

1) Make sure there is no existing partition table (e.g. created by the
b0rked-up Disk Tool from OS X) on the disk image or the partition. I
simply re-created the disk image (since nothing was on it anyhow) using dd
(dd if=/dev/zero of=macosx.img bs=1048576 count=1536). As for the
partition, cat /dev/zero > /dev/hdf4 did the trick. This will, of course,
pretty much h0ze the data on that partition, so please don't sue me if you
fail to realize this. ;)

2) Create a nice fresh partition table. I used mac-fdisk (I use Debian). I
ran "fdisk /dev/hdf4"-- yes, I was CREATING A PARTITON TABLE **IN** A
PARTITION. It works fine. I typed "i" to initialize the partition table,
then I typed "p" to print the new table. I noted that the free space
started at block 64. I then typed "b" to create a Boot partition; I set it
to start at block 64. I then typed "p" again to get the Base and Length
of the free space available for my new partition-within-a-partition. I
then typed "C" to create a partition, specifying the partition type
(lowercase "c" will make a partition that is Apple_Unix_SVR4 or whatever
only. 'C' lets you specify type.).

I repeated the same procedure for the disk image. Now I can install into
either!