Unmapped 'RAM-read-access', and more...

James Alexander Cook mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Mon, 28 Jul 2003 19:28:47 -0400

I am trying to run mol 0.9.68-1b on my Powermac 4400.  It has a 603ev
200MHz processor, 32MB of RAM, and is running YellowDog 3.0 with the
supplied 2.4.20-8d kernel.

I am using Mac OS 8.6 with virtual memory disabled and sound muted, and
with the 1.4 newworld ROM.   (Can a 4400 use new-world ROMs?)

Whenever I try to boot, one of the following errors seems to happen
every time.  It's hard to find a pattern, but I think it has to do with
the amount of RAM allocated and the video mode.

(1) Mac OS hangs at either the happy-mac or the "welcome to Mac OS"
screen.  No error message is reported and mol continues to consume
processor time; the last messages I see are
+ Mouse Driver v1.0
+ Asynchronous Block Driver v1.4
+ Video Driver v1.12

(2) mol exits with one error message:
Instruction Pointer not in ROM/RAM (nip 6806D3A0, nip_phys 6806D3A0)
cleanin up...
Terminating threads...
DONE

(It's usually nip 6806D3A0, nip_phys 6806D3A0.)
FFCFE1F8, phys FFCFE1F8

(3) Mol repeatedly says (filling the screen):
Unmapped 'RAM-read-access', 74000002

until I press ctrl-C twice.
(It's always the same number, 74000002.)

The only pattern I can find is that Mac OS gets farther if it is given
more RAM or a larger display, but I might be imagining that.  (Mac OS
got as far as a blank screen with the desktop pattern and an empty menu
bar before crashing when I set the resolution to 1024x768 16-bit X
graphics; usually it's at 832x624 or 640x480).

I've tried oldworld-booting, but it always exits before displaying
anything graphical, with:
Instruction Pointer not in ROM/RAM (nip FE6DCD70, nip_phys FE6DCD70)

Are there any simple things I've forgotten to try here?